This recipe is excellent if you are entertaining. It is gluten free and simple to make.
1. To make the redcurrant sorbet, heat the sugar and water in a small pan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then boil rapidly for five minutes, without stirring, to form a thick syrup. Allow to cool.
2. Place the redcurrants in a pan with the wine and icing sugar and cook gently for 15 minutes until the fruit is soft and juicy. Puree in a food processor or blender, then pass through a sieve to remove seeds and skin.
3. Stir the syrup into the puree then pour into a freezer proof container. Freeze for about 1.5 hours. (Until slushy).
4. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and whisk till smooth. In a separate bowl, reconstitute the egg white and then whisk till stiff. Fold into fruit mixture and freeze for a further 3 hours till firm.
5. To make the brandy snap baskets, preheat the oven to 200 C, 400 F, Gas Mark 6 and line and grease a baking sheet.
6. Melt in a pan the margarine, lemon juice, sugar and syrup.
7. Add flour and ginger and beat well.
8. Drop 4-heaped teaspoons of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet (space them well apart).
9. Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, until the biscuits have spread and are golden. Allow to cool for 30 seconds, then remove from the baking sheet and drape over oiled oranges. Allow to cool before removing from the moulds. Make all the baskets in the same way.
10. Remove the sorbet from the freezer 15 minutes before serving to allow it to soften slightly. To serve, arrange a scoop of sorbet in each basket and decorate with mint leaves.
For more information go to
Contact Us, or send
or call us on +44 (0) 7961 434347